The Skilled Regional Visa (Subclass 489 visa) is a provisional visa that allows skilled workers to work and live in regional Australia for a period of up to 4 years. This visa creates a pathway for a permanent visa (subclass 887), under Skilled Regional Visa. You are allowed to bring along your family under this provisional visa. If you live in regional Australia for at least 2 years and work there for a minimum of one year, it could make you eligible for a permanent visa application later on.
Skilled Regional Visa
The subclass 489 visa has 3 channels, and Immigration Services Adelaide or Migration Services Adelaide can be consulted for these to determine what goes best with your situation. These are:
l Invited pathway: this pathway is a temporary visa for skilled workers who wish to work and live in regional Australia. They must be:
– Invited for the visa application
– Nominated by a territory or state of Australia or receive sponsorship from a relative who is eligible to do it
– Be able to secure the required level in the points test
– Be less than 45 years old when they invited
– The stay allowed would be of 4 years
– It would cost from AUD4045 and can take up to 15 months for most of the state or territory nominated applicants. The processing time for those sponsored by the family is not known as the volume of such applications is very low
– Ministry of Home ‘Affairs’ Commonwealth Department has declared changes to this visa that are likely to be effective from 15 November 2019.
l Pathway of extended stay: this pathway is of a temporary visa for skilled workers who want to work and live in specified regions of Australia.
– Only a subclass 487, 495, 496 or 475 visa holder can apply for this
– The stay would be for four years starting from when the current visa was effective
– The visa cost starts from AUD360, and the processing of this pathway does not have any standard timelines.
l Pathway of subsequent entry: this pathway is for members of a family unit with a person within, who has a visa subclass 489 or a visa subclass 496, 495, 487 or 475
– You can work, study and live in regions specified in Australia
– The stay would last until the end of the family member’s visa
– The visa cost starts from AUD4045 and its processing time is not known as there are no standard timelines.
Eligibility for skilled regional subclass 489 provisional visa
The essential ability can be understood based on the pathway relevant to each individual.
For the first pathway, one must:
a territory or state nominate l for the application
l Have an eligible occupation on the skilled occupation list relevant to that
l Have a skills assessment suitable for the trade
l Be invited for applying
l Secure a satisfactory score in the points test
For the second pathway, one must:
l Hold one of the subclasses for an extended stay pathway, namely 496,495, 487 or 475
For the 3rd pathway, one must
l Be a relative or family member of the member of a family unit, who holds a subclass 496visa, 495visa, 487visa or 475 visa
Visa allowance under these pathways
With the invited pathway visa, one can:
l Stay for 4 years in Australia
l Work, study and live in a specified Australian region
l Travel in and out of Australia as frequently as you want, during the validity of the visa
(This visa would close for new applications effective 15 November 2019)
With the pathway of an extended stay, one can:
l Live in Australia for 4 years effective the date of issuance of your subclass 496, 495, 487 or 475
l The study, work and live in specified Australian regions
l travel in and out of Australia as frequently as you wish, during the validity of the visa
With the pathway of subsequent entry, one can:
l Live in Australia till the validity of the visa lasts
l Work, study and live in specified Australian regions
l Travel in and out of Australia as much as you want until the validity of your visa lasts
The 489 Skilled Visa requires an Australian territory or state to sponsor you. Every state of Australia has specific skill shortages and different types of occupations that appear from time to time in various lists. If the rule nominated by you is on the MLTSSL (Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List), you could be sponsored by a relative eligible to do so, who also lives in an area designated for the visa. The relative has to be a citizen or permanent resident of Australia or even a citizen of New Zealand who is eligible. You need to live in the same area designated for your relative. The subclass 489 gives a person and his partner full rights to work and begins a pathway for their Permanent Residency (PR) and live anywhere in Australia.